In the beginning, we need to know what WPS stands for and how it works. WPS is known as Wi-Fi Protected Setup, and it makes it much easier to connect devices with routers. When you connect a device with a router, you need to go to the default router password connection.
A password is printed at the back of the router to avoid hackers. If you are trying to set the password, it might become easier for hackers to access your router. This default router is strong and thus stops anyone to get access to your router.
With the help of the WPS button, if someone is in connecting range, then you don’t need to type a lengthy password. You can just hit the button and connect the device. After pressing the button, it will look for a compatible device. If it finds any device, it will automatically pair up. The router will stop automatically after 2 mins if no device is nearby.
Though not all devices are WPS supporters. Recently, some devices are made by WPS supporters. Depending on the router model, it might look a little different, but it is easier to spot.
How does the WPS Button work on Xfinity?
The WPS button feature is available on the Xfinity router to make sure that you get a fast internet connection. The WPS will only work with wireless networks that are secured and encrypted. Though if it has deprecated WEP security, then you won’t be able to use it.
The WPS helps by clearing the internet connection. We will add some information that will help you to be more clear about establishing the WPS connection. At first, you just have to press the WPS button present on the router. It will help you to discover devices. Now, you just have to take the device and select the Wi-Fi connection. And, it will establish the connection without any password.
The usage of smart devices is increasing. Thus, it means that people are more prone to using wireless electronics. It might be a printer or any other device, and it has a WPS button for a smooth connection.
How to Connect a Device to the Router?
You can also use the device without entering a password. Some steps are given below:
- First, you have to connect the device to the Wi-Fi by using the WPS button.
- After that, you just have to follow the steps given on the device.
- This will help you to connect the internet with the device.
Thus, there will be no interruption, and you can easily connect with multiple other devices. Also, Wi-Fi will remember your device, so you don’t have to use the WPS button again.
Whether WPS is Secure or not?
The biggest question comes whether WPS is secure or not. Well, unfortunately, it is not a secure way to establish a connection with the router. Many users also use the push-button connection and the PIN methods that we will discuss below.
Both the mentioned methods are secure, but the PIN method is more in demand. The WPS needs to be more secure.
Establish the Connection with the PIN Method
The PIN method is in demand as well as secure. Below are the steps to set Wi-Fi using the PIN method:
- First, you need to turn on the Wi-Fi and then open the Wi-Fi Protected Setup utility to choose the PIN method.
- Now, select the Wi-Fi network name and generate a PIN number. Then, you will see a countdown for a minimum of 2 mins.
- You need to go to the admin tool of the wireless gateway by using the connected device.
- Now, enter the username as admin and password as the password itself. And, click on the login option.
- Select gateway, followed by connection, along with Wi-Fi.
- On the Wi-Fi page, you need to select “Add Wi-Fi protected setup(WPS) client” and make sure that it is enabled.
- Select on PIN number and finally click on PAIR.
Using the Push-button Connection
You can also use the push button connection to set up the Wi-Fi connection.
- First, you need to press the Wi-Fi Products. With the WPS button on the computer.
- You can also go for pressing the WPS button on the gateway. First, locate the WPS button on the gateway.
- Then, it will display a successful notification of its connection with the network.
Here, we end all the required information related to the WPS button is given. How it works and also if it is a secure way or not is also explained properly. Hopefully, the details will help you with the WPS button on Xfinity router.