Netgear is the first brand to launch fast wireless routers in the world. They have served a variety of technologies in the world of Wi-Fi and Ethernet. You can connect all your wireless devices like computers, mobile phones, tablets, etc to your Netgear router.
Netgear router setup is the basic thing that you need to perform when you buy a Netgear router for the first time. You need to install or setup the Netgear router to get a seamless connection around your home or workplace.
If you are new with a Netgear router, then go through this section. Here we have presented various ways of how to setup the Netgear router. So, let’s continue to the setup procedures.
How to Setup Netgear Router?
To work with any Netgear router, you must go through the basic setup process. You need to connect the router to the network source and to the computer devices too. Please follow these basic guidelines to accomplish the task.
- Disconnect all the cables from the modem that you use. Plug the power socket of the modem in. Turn the modem on. Make sure that you have turned it on. Otherwise, it won’t connect to the Netgear router.
- Take an Ethernet cable. Plugin one end of the cable to the modem and the other end to the ethernet port of your Netgear router.
- Turn your router on. Make sure that both the devices are active.
- Next, you have to connect your computer or any other device to the router. You can use an ethernet cable to establish the connection. Otherwise, you can opt for Netgear wireless router setup procedures to connect them wirelessly. We have discussed this section too.
- Turn your computer or other devices on. Next, you have to provide the preset SSID and password of the router to get access to the network supplied by the router. You can get the credentials on the labels of the Netgear router.
Now, you can enjoy a strong connection throughout your home or workplace. You can reconfigure the SSID and password and its type later.
Netgear Wireless Router Setup
Netgear is famous for its wireless routers. The wireless routers are renowned for their comparatively faster network connection and wide coverage network. If you have bought a new Netgear wireless router, then you have to follow the steps listed below.
- You have to plug an ethernet cable from the modem to the ethernet port of your Netgear router. Make sure that you have plugged in the ethernet cable to the ethernet port of the Netgear cable.
- Power your modem on and wait until the light of the modem becomes steady. Similarly, turn your Netgear router on and wait until its light gets stable by the time. The stable light on both devices indicates that the connection has built up between the modem and the router.
- You can find the preset SSID and password of the router mentioned on the label at the back of the router.
- Turn on your wireless device that you are going to connect to the Netgear router. Expand the network settings on the device.
- Look for the network connection supplied by the Netgear router. Once found, select that network and provide all the valid credentials like SSID, password to get access.
- Expand any web browser on your wireless device.
Lastly, you have to follow the on-screen guidelines to complete the Netgear wireless router setup.
Netgear Router Setup Using the Smart Wizard:
If you don’t have any wireless device, then you can create the connection by using an ethernet cable. It is not necessary that you have to connect the device to the Netgear router only by using a wireless or Wi-Fi connection.
This procedure goes well with the older router models of Netgear. Let’s follow the steps to establish a wired connection.
- Connect an ethernet cable from the modem to the ethernet port of your Netgear router.
- You need another ethernet cable to connect your computer to the LAN port of the Netgear router.
- Turn all these three devices off. Wait for a while and turn them on again.
- Next, you have to open any web browser on your computer. Enter any of the following addresses in the address bar of the web browser. http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. It will initiate the router login startup.
- You have to log in to the interface by using ‘admin’ and ‘password’ as the default username and password, respectively.
- Select the ‘Setup Wizard’ from the left pane of the window. Click on the Yes option.
- Next, choose the Next option. Again, click on Next when the Network type gets determined.
Your Netgear router has already saved all configurations of your computer and Internet Service Providers. Now, you are ready to enjoy an uninterrupted network connection.
Netgear Router Setup Using the Genie Interface:
When you are using newer Netgear models of routers and want to use a cable connection, then this procedure is for you. Genie interface has access to only newer models of Netgear routers.
Please go through the steps carefully to accomplish a strong network connection.
- Turn your modem and Netgear router down. Connect an ethernet cable from the modem to the ethernet port of the Netgear router.
- Take another ethernet cable. Connect that cable from the computer to any port labeled LAN on your Netgear router.
- Turn on your modem and Netgear router and wait until the lights get stable on both the devices. This ensures that they have recognized each other and are now connected.
- Open any web browser on the computer. Enter any of the following addresses in the address bar of the browser. http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. This will bring up the router login wizard.
- Log into the Genie interface by using ‘admin’ and ‘password’ as the username and password, respectively. Next, move to the Advanced tab.
- Then click on Setup Wizard. Confirm any prompt message with the ‘Yes’ option.
- Confirm any further prompts.
Now, you are definitely connected to the ISP via the Netgear router.
You can download the necessary firmware from the official website of Netgear routers. By using this firmware, you can reconfigure your Netgear router setup. If you are facing difficulty to build Netgear wireless router setup, then you must use ethernet cables. But please do a thorough checking of the cables before you proceed with them.
Hopefully, the article was helpful enough to deal with the setup of Netgear routers. You can fully rely on Netgear routers once you have set them up for use.