With time, Netgear releases different updates of the firmware on a daily basis. Keeping the Netgear genie firmware updates is quite necessary. If you are a new user, then you must know the method for updating Netgear router.
However, there are different methods for updating the Netgear firmware. One of the methods that are quite easy and useful for updating the Netgear firmware is the Netgear Genie Firmware. It is basically a software that helps in updating the Firmware for your Netgear device.
Well, there are other methods as well with the help of which you can update the firmware of your Netgear devices. One can also apply the manual update process for updating the software. But the genie updates are quite reliable and easily applicable.
In case you are using a Netgear device for a long time and facing issues for connecting to the internet both wired and wireless, then the first and foremost thing that you should do is check for the Firmware updates.
Here you will get a complete overview for updating your Netgear device with the help of Netgear Genie Application. But before that, the most important thing that you must do is to keep a backup of all the present configuration of your router. Just export all the configuration of the router to a specific file. This is just to keep all the configuration intact in the case during the updating process, all the information loses.
How to Keep a Backup of the Configuration?
As we all know that the Firmware of a router is basically the operating system of a router. Without proper updates, the Netgear router will not work properly. The manufacturers of the Netgear Router sends the firmware updates for their routers quite often.
But before starting the Netgear genie firmware update, you must create a backup of the configurations. Most of the time when you are updating the Firmware of your Netgear device, the device suddenly shuts down or stops working. These back-ups will help you to solve this issue.
For backing up the configuration of the Netgear device, follow these steps:
- Open the Internet Browser. You can use any browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc. On the search tab that is present at the top of the page, type the IP address “192.168.1.1” and then hit enter. A new page will open, which is the Administrative Console of the Netgear Router.
- Search for the “Management” menu and click on it. A drop-down list will appear instantly. Now select the “Backup/ Restore Settings”. This will then open a new tab which is the Backup Window tab.
- In the new page, select the “Backup” option. A new dialog box will appear which contains the local hard drive directories of your PC or Laptop. Select the location of the specific file where you would like to keep an update of the configuration files. You can also create a file and save the configurations in the specific folder.
- After successfully selecting the file location click on the “OK” option. Wait until the whole backup process completes. It will then take only a few minutes for completing the process. Well, keep this in mind that these backup files are necessary when you face some difficulties during updating the firmware for your Netgear device.
After successfully backing up the configuration, start with the Netgear Genie Update process.
Steps for Updating the Netgear Router:
Before starting with the steps of the Netgear Genie Updates, make sure that the latest version of the Genie Application is present in your system. If not, then download the software from the internet and install it in your system.
After that, perform the following:
- Open the Genie Application in your system. As the application opens up, enter the settings of your Netgear Router.
- Under the Router settings, you will find an option naming as “Click Here”. On the dialogue, boxes enter the username and password of your Netgear router and then click on Enter.
- Enter the Username and password correctly. They are case sensitive. Then, you must check the letters while typing so that you do not face any issues further.
- After entering the correct username and password for your router, if still, you face the “Incorrect username and password” message, just simply factory reset your router.
- Before you factory reset, check if the light of your Netgear Router is on or not.
- Now with the help of a pen or a pin, press and hold the reset button of your router. Hold it for at least 15 seconds or more. You will then find the reset button on the back of the Netgear router.
- Next, visit the page that is opened on your browser. Enter the Username and Password for your Netgear Router and select Enter.
- As soon as you complete the login process successfully, a new page will open up. That is the page of the Wireless settings of your Router.
- Move to the left side of the Wireless settings page and click on the Arrow icon.
After that, the steps that you have to follow are given below. Remember, you cannot skip any step.
Further Steps After Successfully Logging In for Netgear Genie Firmware Update
- Navigate to the Router Update Tab.
- On the Router Update tab, search for Next and click on it.
- As soon as you click on the next option, you will notice that the application starts to check the Firmware availability.
- This will take a few seconds or minutes. Be patient and wait until the process completes.
- A pop-up message will appear where it will detect that if there is any kind of Firmware update present for your Netgear device or not. In case there are no updates present then you do not need to worry. It will say that “You have the latest Firmware“.
- If there is any kind of Firmware update present, the message will say “New Firmware Available”.
- Click on the next option. And follow the instructions that will appear. After following few instructions, the Firmware Update will initiate automatically.
- Now, click on the “Yes” option and stop using your computer for a few moments. The download of the firmware will start automatically. After the downloading completes, the uploading process will start automatically in your router.
- After completion of the Update, you will see a message that says “Update is complete” on your screen.
Note- You can also visit the “Routerlogin.net” webpage for downloading the firmware update for the Netgear Router.
If you have never downloaded the Firmware for your Netgear Router, then it is more likely that you will face different issues with the internet connectivity. Immediately download the firmware for your Netgear router with the help of Netgear Genie Updates.
Hopefully, you will find this article helps you for downloading the Firmware updates for the Netgear router