Linksys brand routers have a default password and a default IP address, just like other brands. But, before we go on with the guide, you need to understand what the Linksys default password is.
The default password is just a standard pre-configured password for any device. If this default password is kept unchanged, it can cause serious security problems. This default password is only used for the initial hardware setup or factory reset.
And, for all Linksys devices, the default password is admin. Thus, it has been said to be personalised to avoid unauthorised access. More information about Linksys default password is given in the next units.
How to Reset the Router and Change the Admin Password?
Below are the steps to guide you on resetting the router to factory default and even changing the password. The resetting of the router can be done with either default factory settings or with a web-based setup page.
Default Factory Settings
Often the user cannot access the router’s web-based setup page or even forget the router’s password. You need to reset the router as default factory settings in such cases. Further, you need to press the Reset button for at least 10 seconds.
You also need to keep in mind that resetting the router will also reset the password. Thus, you need to reset the router to its default factory settings in such a situation. Admin is the name of the default password and for the users column, just leave it blank.
Keep in mind that the power LED must blink when you press the reset button. Every model of Linksys has a different location for the Reset button. If the power led is blinking, the router is being reset properly. If you are using the old Linksys, you might have to hold the reset button for 30 seconds to complete the process.
Now, unplug and again replug the power adapter of the router. As the power LED is trying to stabilise; therefore, it will keep on blinking for a few seconds.
Resetting the Router using a Web-based Setup Page
To reset the route, by using the web-based setup page, the steps are given below:
- First, you need to go to the router’s web-based setup page. You can use any web browser or computer to access the page. Make sure the computer and the router are connected. In the beginning, you need to launch the web browser and have to enter the IP address in the address bar. And, then press the Return button.
- You have to enter the router’s name and the password. Finally, to continue the process click on the Login button. Now, you have to click on the Administration tab followed by the Factory Default sub-tab.
- Then, you have to click on the Restore Factory Defaults button. And after that, you need to reconfigure it.
What are the Ways to Change the Password of the Router?
As mentioned above, the router’s default password is admin, and you can leave the user name blank. But, it has been recommended to change the default password for security purposes. The steps are mentioned below:
- First, you need to access the web-based setup page. Then, click on the Administration tab.
- Under the Administration tab, you will see the Management section.
- Now, enter the new password in the router password section and re-enter to confirm the field.
- Finally, click on the Save Settings option.
How to Check the Router’s Name and Password?
After setting the router’s name and the password, the network will be generated automatically. If you want to check the router name and the password, the steps are given below. There are two ways through which you can proceed, either using Linksys content or a web-based setup page.
Using the Linksys content
- First, you have to launch the Linksys content and to do so, and you need to go to the Start menu followed by All Program and then the Linksys Connect option.
- You need to select the router settings on the Linksys to connect to the main screen.
- Under the personalise section, you will find the router name and the password.
Using the Web-based setup page
- First, you need to open Internet Explorer.
- In the address bar, you need to type 192.168.1.1, the default IP address. Then, you need to click the Enter button.
- Now, enter the password as admin and leave the user name blank. If you have already set the password, then enter the personalised password.
- You will see a warning pop up on the screen, and after that, you need to click on the OK button.
- Then, you need to click on the Wireless option on the set-up page.
- Under the wireless option, click on the Wireless Security to view the Security settings. Now, note the security mode and the passphrase.
This was the detailed information about Linksys default password. Going through the points will provide you with a sharp viewpoint. However, if you face any problem, then do hire a professional.