Support Number, Call us
Netgear is one of the premier brands when it comes to quality network devices. You can buy a lot of different types of network devices from them, where each will serve a specific purpose with perfection for the network that you create.
If you have bought a router from Netgear, and you want to set it in a way for optimal usage, then you are going to find out all about that here. Now, what we are going to cover here is how to setup port forwarding on your Netgear router.
There are a lot of instances for which you might need to figure out how to setup port forwarding. Read through to find out all the things you need to know to carry out this process effectively.
What is Port Forwarding?
First, let us discuss what port forwarding is before we show you how to setup port forwarding on router. If you know what this exactly is, then you will be able to carry out the process better.
To explain this in simple words, port forwarding is just sharing your internet connection with another computer system. That is going to happen by sending a request to divert the traffic.
The connection that we are taking into account here is a local area network connection. And within this network, we are going to carry out port forwarding to divert traffic.
Port forwarding is of 3 types – Local, Remote and Dynamic. The main purpose of this is to maintain the privacy of the connections because anybody hacker will be able to pinpoint the exact location that you are operating from.
Other than that, if you want to allow access to any other device to your network port, then you can use port forwarding to allow that access.
So, these are the main reasons why you need to set up port forwarding for your router. Now, it is time to check exactly how you will be able to do this.
How to Setup Port Forwarding on Netgear Router: Stepwise
Check out all the steps that you are going to need to set up port forwarding on your Netgear router. The good thing about Netgear is that you have Netgear Genie. This is an application that they have developed to give the user complete control of the device.
Here, we will be using this application to set up port forwarding.
- Open up your the web browser from your computer and type in the IP address over there. Press the Enter key and that is going to bring up the login page of Netgear.
- Use the login details to log in, and open up the control interface. Here, you are going to find all the options for the settings.
- Look for the Advanced section and click on it to expand. You are going to find the Port Forwarding option in that category. In some cases, it can be Port Triggering as well, but it points to the same exact thing.
- Click on the Add Custom Service option after this to start the port forwarding process.
- Now, type in the name of the device that you want to along with the other details. This generally includes things like Starting Port, End Port, and the IP address.
After you have done this, you will be able to connect to the network you want to with the device. You need to put in the hostname and the port number to establish the connection. Thus, by applying all these steps, you will be able to setup port forwarding properly.
You now know how to setup port forwarding and using the information from this article, you will be able to repeat this process whenever you want to.
But if you have any other questions regarding this topic on a finer level of detail, you can post that in the comments section below.
There are a lot of users just like you, who participate over there. And if you want to find out more instructional articles like this, then you can find all that on our website.